Friday, January 18, 2013

How to Up-Cycle Old Christmas Cards into Adorable Gift Boxes





















This is such a fun tutorial! I used so many cards making gift tags. Now, I wish I had saved a few. I will definitely do this with all cards I receive from now on. At least until I have moved on to some other fabulous craft. I learned a new trick from my co-worker who taught me how to make gift boxes out of my old Christmas cards. They are super cute plus they fit a gift card perfectly. Turns out, it is done simply by using a normal box template, only on a small scale. It is easy, I will show you. Since learning this, I want to take everything apart - envelopes, boxes, even underwear (I swear, I am considering this) to use as a template for a homemade version. Here we go....

Tools:


  • Greeting Card (you will never throw away any cards again!)
  • Tape or glue
  • Scissors

Steps:

1. Cut the card in half at the seam.

















2. Cover the back portion of the card with paper (craft paper or wrapping paper - any cute paper) to cover the writing.

3. Glue the paper to the card.

















4. After the card is firmly stuck to the paper, cut the excess paper off. You are left with a paper covered card. You can do this on all sides of the card if you want to get fancy.

Already cute!
















5. You are left with two pieces from which you will create the bottom and top of the gift box.

















6. For the top (or lid) of the box, I chose the piece with the snow man, flip it over so what will become the  inside is facing up.

7. Lay card out so the longest side is horizontal.

8. Draw four rectangles in each corner with the dimensions 2 inches wide and 1.5 inches tall.

















9. Make a cut only on the 2 inch lines on each side. So, you will make four cuts leaving the right and left sides with three flaps.

10. Fold all three flaps in making a vertical crease where the 2 inch line meets the 1.5 inch line. See below.

11. Then, on only the middle flap fold making a crease at about half an inch from the edge.

















12. Fold the card again, now horizontally,  making a crease at the 1.5 inch mark. You can see the box template starting to take shape.

















13. Fold the side flaps in towards the middle flap with the half inch crease. Put some glue on the side flaps to hold them in place then tuck them both (one on top of the other) underneath the half inch crease. This will create one side of the box top.

14. Repeat on the other side.

















15. Repeat this process for the box bottom using the other piece of the card.

16. All done! Place the lid over top of the bottom and tie on a cute bow. Oh, do not forget to add a gift!




No comments:

Post a Comment